What is Anointing of the Sick?
The Anointing of the Sick is the sacrament the Church confers on those in danger of death through grave illness or old age. It consists of the anointing of the individual with special oil and the prayer of the priest. The Catechism of the Catholic Church lists the following as the special graces of this sacrament:
Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters of the Church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."
Who can receive Anointing of the Sick?
Baptized Catholics who may be in danger of death from illness or old age may receive this sacrament. One does not need to be at the point of death to receive this sacrament; if you are about to undergo surgery, are suffering from an illness that could be life-threatening, or have become frail due to old age, please request Anointing of the Sick.
When can I receive Anointing of the Sick at St. Philip's?
You may request to be anointed at any time; if your request is not an emergency situation, please contact the Parish Receptionist during office hours to set up a time for the Pastor to visit you. You may also request to be anointed at a weekend Mass; notify the Receptionist at the desk prior to Mass.
- The uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church
- The strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age
- The forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was not able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance
- The restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul
- The preparation for passing over to eternal life
If there is imminent danger of death and you are calling outside of office hours, please call the Emergency Phone number: 972-709-2364.
We also have regularly-scheduled conferral of this sacrament after the 9 am Mass on the First Friday of every month.